Sydney Roosters veteran Josh Morris has reportedly helped betting companies shut down the account of a troll who levelled a disturbing threat at the NRL player.

Morris was targeted after going scoreless in his side’s thumping 40-6 win over Wests Tigers on Sunday.

The 34-year-old chose to share a screenshot of one message with the man’s name and display picture in full view.

“Great to get the win today with the lads but honestly this stuff needs to stop,” Morris wrote.

“We don’t care about your multis.”

The man, who has since deleted his Instagram account, had claimed he was waiting to fight Morris for ruining his bet.

“F*** you you dog c***, you f***ed my multi,” the message read.

“I’m out the front of Leumeah stadium waiting for your bus to rock up, wait till you walk out of the that back door, you won’t know what hit ya.”

Josh Morris (left) went scoreless as James Tedesco and his twin Brett Morris (not pictured) ran riot.
Josh Morris (left) went scoreless as James Tedesco and his twin Brett Morris (not pictured) ran riot. Credit: Getty

Some time later Morris shared another note thanking his followers for messages of support.

“Hopefully this person has learnt a lesson that trolling isn’t on and it should be called out,” he added.

Morris’s posts quickly made an impact.

“Several” betting companies have already suspended accounts under the name of the person, according to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Rugby League Players’ Association chief operating officer Tim Lythe leapt to Morris’s defence after he became the latest NRL player to call out aggrieved punters.

The Roosters smashed Wests Tigers in the wet on Sunday.
The Roosters smashed Wests Tigers in the wet on Sunday. Credit: Getty

“This is yet another example of the appalling behaviour our members are subjected to,” Lythe told the newspaper.

“It’s really sad that people feel that it is acceptable to abuse others in such a way.

“No person, not just NRL players, should be the subject of such abuse. It is entirely unacceptable.”

Athletes from around the world – including AFL and tennis players – have led the charge against abuse from punters but NRL players are becoming increasingly outspoken.

Clive Churchill medallist Ryan Papenhuyzen last year claimed death threats were “swept under the carpet” by club officials who told players to ignore the messages.

That stance, however, appears to have been left in the past, if the first acts of the 2021 season are any indication.

Two weeks ago Melbourne Storm star Josh Addo-Carr shared an image of himself holding a sign that drew plenty of love from other NRL players.

“No one cares about your multi,” it read.

Addo-Carr’s former teammate Curtis Scott added “no one care (sic) about your fantasy team”.

Christian Welch (middle) reflects after the narrow loss to Parramatta.
Christian Welch (middle) reflects after the narrow loss to Parramatta. Credit: Getty

That sentiment was shared by Storm forward Christian Welch just last week.

Hours before Melbourne lined up against Parramatta on Thursday, a Twitter user quizzed Welch on specific statistics from round one and asked if he was carrying an injury into the new season.

“Haha cmon mate, I couldn’t care less about your fantasy stats,” Welch replied.

“We won the game that’s all that matters. Believe it or not individual run metres etc doesn’t really decide who wins a game.”

The Kansas City Chiefs are 2019 NFC Champs - get your gear on at Fanatics