Adelaide United have recorded their sixth A-League win on the trot with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Sydney FC at Coopers Stadium.

A 76th-minute penalty from Craig Goodwin and a stunning last-minute save from young shot stopper Joe Gauci were enough to earn Adelaide maximum points on Sunday night.

Reds coach Carl Veart was delighted with the win against tough opposition.

“I thought tonight was a very good game,” he said.

“Sydney are a very good side, a very hard side to break down.

“To come away with three points and a clean sheet as well, very happy for the boys.”

Sydney coach Steve Corica said it was a fairly even contest but lamented missed chances from his side.

“I thought both teams were having a good go,” he said.

“I think we probably had the better chances of the game.

“But if you don’t score goals you can’t win games.”

Kosta Barbarouses had Sydney’s first attempt on six minutes but the tame effort was saved by Gauci.

Javi Lopez was forced from the field on 12 minutes after being crunched in a challenge by Luke Brattan a minute earlier.

The Reds defender attempted to continue during the next phase but was eventually replaced by new signing Jaunde, who made his debut just before the quarter hour.

Goodwin and Ben Halloran teamed up for Adelaide’s best chance soon after, the pair playing a neat one-two before Goodwin shot just wide from the return pass.

Barbarouses finished the first half with two efforts, the first saved by Gauci, and the second blocked by some desperate defending from Ryan Strain.

Sydney had the first chances of the second half, with Bobo and Barbarouses both having shots blocked in the same passage of play.

On the hour, Halloran picked the pocket of Milos Ninkovic on halfway and put Goodwin through, but his shot was kept out.

The pair combined again 10 minutes later, this time Halloran whipped in a low cross from the right which Goodwin met, however it was saved by Andrew Redmayne at close range.

Adelaide finally broke the deadlock on 75 minutes when the visitors failed to clear and the loose ball saw Brattan tangle with Kusini Yengi who went down inside the area.

Referee Shaun Evans pointed to the spot and Goodwin stepped up and coolly converted, sending Redmayne the wrong way.

Only a stunning save from Gauci in the 89th minute prevented Sydney from equalising.

Barbarouses was released out wide on the right and whipped in a dangerous cross for Patrick Wood whose header from five metres was tipped over the bar after a brilliant reflex save by Gauci.

The Kansas City Chiefs are 2019 NFC Champs - get your gear on at Fanatics