Mike Tyson has confirmed the date for his highly-anticipated trilogy fight with Evander Holyfield, rubbishing claims that talks between the boxing legends had collapsed following a rejected A$32m offer.
Holyfield’s camp sparked controversy on Tuesday (AEDT) by claiming Tyson had rejected the hefty offer to fight in front of 65,000 fans at Hard Rock Stadium in Florida.
However Tyson has now put that drama to bed in an Instagram Live video, revealing the proposed fight will definitely be happening on May 29 and he would emerge the victor.
“I just want everybody to know, the fight is on with me and Holyfield,” Tyson said.
“Holyfield’s a humble man, I know that. And he’s a man of God, but I’m God’s man.
“And, listen, I’m going to be successful on May 29th.”
The trilogy fight will mark the first time Tyson, 54, and Holyfield, 58, have shared a ring since their fight in 1997 when Iron Mike famously bit off a chunk of his rival’s ear.
There’s been speculation ever since the heavyweight legends returned to training last year that they were eyeing off one final battle and payday.
Holyfield emerged victorious in both his previous bouts against Tyson, winning their first fight in 1996 with an 11th round TKO.
He then famously won ‘The Bite Fight’ in 1997 as a result of Tyson’s disqualification for biting him twice on the ear.
Tyson made his return to the boxing ring last year with a relatively underwhelming draw against fellow legend Roy Jones Jr.
Earlier this year Holyfield revealed he was also interested in cashing in one last time, telling The Sun that he had been in training to fight Tyson.
“I’m still training for this,” Holyfield said.
“I know it will be some day this deal will happen and I’m ready for him. I’m doing OK.”
Just 24 hours ago Holyfield’s management had claimed they were wasting their time trying to get a fight locked in with Tyson.
“Representatives of Evander Holyfield expressed frustration after Mike Tyson’s representatives refused to accept a $25,000,000 guarantee from Team Holyfield to participate in Tyson vs Holyfield 3 at the Hard Rock Stadium to kick off Memorial Day weekend,” representatives wrote in a statement.
“The parties have been in intense negotiations for several months and Team Holyfield sincerely believed a deal was imminent, especially after the Hard Rock threw its support behind the project, and there were multiple other offers conveyed to Team Tyson.
“However, Team Tyson’s demands recently became untenable, and not what Mike Tyson had originally agreed on in direct conversations with Holyfield.
“The event was to occur at the beautiful Hard Rock Stadium, and would have been the ideal setting for the trilogy finale of this great rivalry between two of the greatest legends in the history of boxing.
“While neither side has announced publicly that the fight is not going to happen, with negotiations at a standstill and the date rapidly approaching, it seems unlikely that this fight will occur as planned.”
“We thought this was a done deal but it quickly fell apart when Tyson’s people declined all offers.
“We were negotiating in good faith all along and it appears we just ended up wasting our time.”